A breathtaking start

I followed the south coast, crossed rivers with fresh water above my knees and easily with my shoes tied around my neck. I saw the sea in its best mood with a beautiful sun. Suddenly the weather turned, the sky became threatening, reminding me of the skies of Mongolia and under that black cap ready to go wild, I asked myself: “Will I be up to it ?” At that moment I was climbing a summit that dominated the whole region. Arrived at the top, the gusts of wind were such that I found myself propelled several times in dense bushes ... falling flat on my back! My backpack was too heavy to get up. I was on my back, under heavy rain. I laughed and told myself that this rain was just water, after all ... I smiled, I looked like an inverted beetle.

Day 20

I discovered in the early morning on my infrared camera a huge wombat rubbing the hindquarters on my tent. My nights are as exciting as my days ; pity I find out only in the early morning. #infraredcamera.



My supply point and my base camp to observe the wildlife. I arrived a day late and with a shoulder injury after a fall where my 30-kg bag was cushioned by my bending arm. The torrential rains of the last days made the rivers overflow and I had to wait for 24 hours to cross the last one on my way. So I could not meet Leslie who had brought me by small plane my supplies for the next part.

After few days of recovery, I left Melaleuca with a 35-kg bag on the back (packraft - small inflatable boat - included).

"I'm happy to never know what the next day will be made of"

From 40 degrees °C to the snow, from the endless rain to a crossing of a windy sea sound causing me to drift, areas where the cutting grass was as high as me ... there is a little phrase that often comes back #tasmaniaForYou. I begin to understand it better :-)

Day 40

From where I positioned myself on the top of this ridge, I could see my supply point below. It was 6 pm when I passed the door of an old lodge, the fire was crackling. I dropped my bag on the floor and settled myself in front of the flames, hypnotized, exhausted and happy to be here ... A few hours later, I took my first shower since January 5th.

A new start

I write these words in the warm. I'm waiting for National Geographic photographer Krystle Wright to arrive in two hours. We have already worked together on the last expedition in the Kimberley - Instincts. It's time to put my bag on my back, with Krystle who will accompany me for four days.