The two sides of exploration

After weeks of intensive effort, Krystle Wright (National Geographic photographer) joined our explorer for six days. An artistic collaboration was created between the two women at the Australian expedition "Dropped Into the Wild Corner" in 2015. After ten consecutive days of rain, the sun was finally shining.

A crossing that she is not ready to forget

After saying goodbye to Krystle, Sarah sank into the bush for a long wild crossing where few humans have ever been to this day.

She started a sunny ascent with the Tiger snakes that were on her way basking in the sun.

She has suffered several storms, and has discovered intact primary rainforests where centenarian tree trunks that strewed the ground, putrefied and covered with green moss, disintegrated at the slightest touch.

She had the chance to observe a Tasmanian devil in the wild (one of her finest moments).

Day 62

"I finally found the river that will allow me to get out of this valley with my packraft (small inflatable boat)," she told us, full of hope.


Sarah followed this river for days, but unfortunately the water level was too low for navigation. She had already rationed her food and gathered wild plants and berries as soon as she understood the complexity of the situation. Extreme conditions and bad weather, that's what awaited her.



Then it was in a narrow gorge that it led to complications ...

A crossing of this kind was however a routine exercise for her. But this time, she slipped and crashed down the gorge. Her 30kg-bag was flattening her to the ground. Her only thought was "I have to move now - my emergency beacon will not work here". She got up painfully, crawled out of that gorge and walked another three days with what will prove to be a broken arm.



A new start, once again

As you read this news, Sarah is somewhere on the west coast, in the rain, two weeks from the finish. One arm immobilized and the other pushing a cart, because she can not carry her bag anymore. Her doctor imposed a total immobilization for two weeks for the bone to calcify. Meanwhile, Sarah has devised a plan B and it is in the company of her cart that she calls "green bubble" that she put her shoes on her feet. Knowing that it will take her 3 hours to build a camp with one arm ...

Those were her words before she left ... "I finish what I started ... one step at a time, it will take me more time, that's all"